"The times they are a changing." Our business paradigm is going through tremendous changes, as most of our readers can attest to. Look at the mega-mergers looming and happening in the petroleum business along with the tight margins most of them operate on.
How about the vast changes happening with the deregulation of the utility companies and what's all this talk about IPP's, or independent power producers? Is the chemical industry far behind? Are they behind at all?
Check out a few recent business phrases and philosophies:
- "Faster, cheaper, better"
- "There are two types of companies today, the quick and the dead."
- Quality, delivery, price"
- "Employees must be knowledgeable and learn faster"
- "The customer is always right"
- "The customer comes first"
- "Focus on doing the right thing effectively first, then efficiency. If we are highly efficient, but doing the wrong thing, we only do the wrong thing, faster."
- "In your work processes, identify activities that add value for the client (internal or external). Eliminate all non-value adding activities, not employees. Then, focus employees on value-adding activities."